Friday, July 20, 2007

7.20.07 : : A 30 Year Romance

These are my parents, and tonight my dad surprised my mom in recreating their first date, 30 years ago today.

My parents met on the campus of Grand Valley and their first date was simply enjoying some ice cream together. So my dad asked my mom if she might want to go for a ride this evening and off they took. They even stopped for some ice cream along the way...my mom not yet piecing together what was in store.

They drove out to the GVSU campus and walked over the bridge behind the science building. What she didn't know was that we were waiting on the other side. When she saw us there, me behind my camera, there was some definite confusion on her face.

My dad started to reveal some of his plan and the purpose and significance of this date and place. We drove to the alumni house where on the back patio was a table filled with cheese, fruit and champagne...all awaiting our arrival. My dad presented my mom with a card and a gift and as I sat back and watched this most incredible display of love and affection my parents still share after 30 years together, I suddenly felt incredibly blessed to have these two as my parents. To show me what love is and to show me that even though it's not always easy, you stick it out and work together. They have been incredible role models to me and my siblings and I was truly touched at all that my dad did to make today special for my mom.

We finished our evening with dinner and drinks on the patio of The Meadows and watched the sun set together. This was one of those nights that will forever stick out as a favorite memory I was able to share with my family.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now we see where your wonderful looks and great heart come from Amy,
Congrats to your parents!!!

Unknown said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice..... I only hope I can make it to 30 years too...

Em said...

I just cried.

They are so sweet. Congratulations to them on 30 years!

cocojames said...

Oh Amy:) This made me tear up! So beautiful:)